26 April 2012
I traced and cut the pattern for these a while back, but needed the kcwc incentive to finally get them made. They're my first attempt at an oliver + s pattern and I'm as pleased as everyone said I'd be--not only with unique design of the pants, but also the clarity with which the pattern is written. It's the size 6 pattern; I extended the length from the "cropped" look of the pattern to regular pants length, except that I underestimated how tall Owen has gotten. Hence the bias at the ankles rather than a turned hem. But I like how it looks anyway. The main fabric is a beautiful pale blue-grey linen I've been hoarding for a while, and the contrast fabric came from a vintage apron I thrifted with the intent to cut--as a larger piece, it's more of a faux-bois look, but cut so small the effect is a little watermelony, unfortunately. But I still love the combination as a less-girly take on the red+aqua look. And I used my buttonhole foot! And didn't muck things up! I am getting smarter about making test stitches on scrap when I change feet or needles, and this was definitely a moment when it paid off. happy kids' clothes week challenge, everyone! now maybe if I hurry and pack my kids some shoddy lunches I can squeeze in a few more stitches before school.
Posted by mama-pan | mary frances