02 March 2012

quickie pup tent.

pup tent.

Since we cut down our tree last year, the yard has suffered from a serious lack of shade. The weather yesterday was beaufitul and warm--70 degrees on March 1!--but the sun made it tough to really enjoy the outdoor rest time we were all craving.

So I whipped up a little tent: a long piece of vintage linen-blend yardage I picked up at the thrift store recently, cut in half and then stiched the two pieces lengthwise. I added twill tape loops at the four corners to use for staking, and left the edges unhemmed for now.

pup tent corner.

I picked this fabric up thinking it would make a nice summer dress or skirt, and I may still reclaim it for that later on. I think this tent is a little on the small side, so I may retry the project in a more formal way sometime--I think two twin sheets stitched lengthwise would actually be the ideal size, and give you everything you need in terms of prefinished edges, but I couldn't find a vintage sheet I haven't cut into. Thus a thrifting trip for improved-tent materials is certainly justfied, don't you think? But until then, the boys had a great time resting and playing in this one, and I'm sure we'll pull it out again soon.

DSC_0007

two-man tent.

Spring has sprung.

3 comments:

melissa q. at a happy stitch said...

Oh, how I love this. what a fun mama you are! And, I love the new look, beautiful, fun and clean just like your photography.

Emily W. said...

love this!!
such a great idea and really pretty fabric.

mama-pan | mary frances said...

thanks, emily and melissa--I am trying to get back in the blogging habit and hoping the new look will help :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...