09 November 2011

kcwc wrap-up: the Fail.

kcwc: the Fail.

and then there are the projects that don't go so well.

I was talking with a friend about the many sewing failures we've had over the years: some that have led to necessary and exciting growth in skills, and some that have led to madcap laughter--either way, really.  And we agreed it is a shame that more folks don't share these, that sometimes craft blogs are all "ta-da, look at this series of perfect things I have made!" and not enough of the series of screw-ups along the way.  Then on second thought, I realized that many people do share their process hiccups, but then they usually, generously, offer a workaround or correction that solved the problem.  Not as often, perhaps, do we get to see a project that was worked to (near-)completion and still came out a FAIL.

well, I am here today to fill that void.

Like most of my biggest failures--and best successes--this project started from pure hubris.  Flipping through the internet one evening, I came across this hat, which, like most everything from anthropologie, stole my heart with its sheer bizarreness.  Looking at it, and its $128 price tag, I was seized by two thoughts: 1) That hat would look ridiculous on me, but super cute on my kids; and (of course), 2) I could totally make that!  Having just read through Crispina Ffrench's excellent & inspiring book on sweater refashions, I tossed aside other kcwc plans and set to making the hat to end all hats. 

I made & fitted a quickie muslin that seemed allright, thinking that the abstractness of the original hat was what had drawn me to it.  But somewhere between cutting into the sweater, affixing piping, deciding to line the hat in some woven fabric to avoid scratchiness, adding a Whoville-esque point to account for the problem of the joining panels, and realizing that the bulk of this thing was way more than my poor Kenmore machine could handle, I realized I had gotten in way over my head:

DSC_0552

DSC_0543
[it definitely looks cuter on the kids.]

So, I had to admit defeat.  And it's a good thing to do, from time to time--or maybe even every day.   For now, I will leave fine hattery to the professionals, well trained designers with heavy duty steamer-shapers and industrial sewing machines.  One of these days I may pick up the hat and handfinish the side seams so it can have a life in the costume bin--hello, Sherlock Holmes!--but until then, I'll just keep it as a reminder that failure happens, and that I should maintain a sense of humor when things go wrong.  Because right now it's making a pretty darn funny iron cozy.

DSC_0545

*******
some good ways out:

this photo wall idea looks fun/easy, which I need in a wall decor project.

this latte recipe intrigues me.

Melissa's new site rocks!

2 comments:

small + friendly said...

This cracked me up! It's always heartening to know I'm not the only one with failed projects.

melissa q. at a happy stitch said...

Oh hello! This is so great. A spectacular fail, my friend. I love your attitude towards the whole thing. It is so important to fail!! (thanks for the lovely shout out! I would have noticed earlier if I weren't nose-deep in holiday-world.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...