29 October 2011

halloween decor.

I am not one to go overboard on halloween.  I like dress-up in general and have enjoyed making a costume or two in recent years, but I am not big on decorating the house, carving jack-o-lanterns (the smell makes me nauseous), or eating cheap candy.  Still, there are these little people that live with me now.  Little people with ideas.
So this year I outsourced all the decorating to my six-year-old; he did pretty well with the small (8 x 10 x 2") box of leftover decorations from previous years, but it was evident that the spirit of the season was lacking.  We've spent the past few days making extra decorations:

DSC_0560
a yarn and construction paper pennant...

DSC_0572

DSC_0574
crazy pumpkin faces, an old favorite from amy karol...

DSC_0564
and this little hanuted house. The doors open to show different spooky scenes:

DSC_0565
a witch; she is my favorite.

DSC_0569
a bat.

I remember making these as a kid, and one in particular that my amazing artist of an older sister did--I got the willies before opening the witch door every year. It's a good parent-and-child craft, though I secretly wanted to take over on the spooky doodles. Maybe I'll have to make my own...

The decorations aren't much, I know, but at least I am feeling less grinchy.
still, there's those pumpkins to carve...
to do list: carve pumpkins.

3 comments:

Beth said...

those pumpkin faces are a favorite around here too. great work on the pennant.

Darcy said...

i love the haunted house decoration! We also had the house decorated by our six year old this year, lots of hand-drawn pumpkins are taped to our windows and doors. Happy November!

melissa q. at a happy stitch said...

this is so much more than we did at our house! it's just too much holiday crammed into what feels like a single season for me. love that pendant. what is it about pendants? they are just so nice...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...