21 July 2010

I'm not the only one who makes things.

I'm not the only one who makes things.

I think one of the most fun parts of marriage is seeing how your partner's interests emerge and evolve.  Say you marry someone who likes mowing the lawn, then ten years later find yourself living in a well-manicured garden paradise.  Or maybe you marry someone who likes golf, then wake up one morning to find a full-fledged mini putting course out front (someone in our neighborhood really had this, whimsical hazards and all.  Then they replaced it with a badminton court--I was crushed). 

daddy-pan has always liked tools and fixing things, but lately he's been acting on an interest that's been simmering for a while: woodworking and building things for our home.  So I wanted to show off his newly-built, made-from-scratch arbor here. 

It was a lot of hard work--the culmination of a fence-building project that's been dogging us for years. So when the time came to finish it off, and he suggested he'd like to build an arbor rather than a simple gate, I was a little worried it could drag things out even further. But his excitement over the idea won out, and I'm so glad it did.

009

Watching him go through the process was a really good reminder about why I love making things myself: there's such a joy in chasing an idea from plan to reality, from paper to product--whether that product is wood or fabric. And it reminded me about the importance of taking the time to do things well, even when it means digging holes and pouring cement late into the evening. Way to go, daddy-pan.  I know our kids were watching.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...