28 July 2010

breakfast of champions.

breakfast.

it was my lunch and bedtime snack of champions, too.  I probably shouldn't admit that I baked this midweek with my husband away, having the full intention of eating the whole thing myself.  But I did.

I use a variation on cobbler recipe I learned from Fine Cooking, our very favorite cooking magazine.  I have found no other food magazine with so many recipes I feel like I can actually do.  And I do them.  As with this one, many of their recipes are open-ended methods, giving you the framework for a classic recipe but letting you choose the specific ingredients and flavors.  Genius.  Especially when cobbler is involved.

So here's how this particular iteration of cobbler came to be:

Peach+Blackberry Cobbler (with a few blueberries for good measure)
[adapted from Fine Cooking #86, method by Abigail Johnson Dodge]

--Make the cobbler dough:
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 Tbs. baking powder
1/4 tsp. table salt
6 Tbs. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
a few shakes of cinnamon
3/4 cup sour cream

Combine dry ingredients by pulsing in food processor, then add the chunks of butter and pulse a few times until you have pea sized chunks of butter. Then add the sour cream by smearing it in with a spatula until the dough is moist throughout.  Put dough into refrigerator while you prepare the fruit.

--Make the fruit filling:
6 ripe peaches, cut into thick wedges
1/2 pint blackberries
handful blueberries
1/4 cup granulated sugar (more if peaches aren't too sweet)
thick drizzle of maple syrup
2 Tbs. flour
a few drops almond extract
dash of nutmeg

Toss the above together gently, then spread in a baking dish (I used a large oval pyrex--something deep-sided in the 9x13 inch family will be your best bet).

--Remove dough from fridge and spoon large (maybe 2-3 inch) round chunks onto cobbler, leaving space between the chunks for juices to bubble.

--Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50-60 minutes.  Allow to cool for 20 minutes afterward.

Not so hard, right?  Now go make one and tell me what you think.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...